Clerk and RFO - Cronton Parish Council19th of October, 2023
Vacancy for a Part-time Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer
Cronton Parish Council serves the village of Cronton, which has a population of 1,500. It is a forward thinking and active council with 8 elected and co-opted members.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated person to fill the role of Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer to the Council. The Clerk is the Proper Officer of the Council and will be responsible for the day-to-day administration and financial affairs of the Council. The successful applicant should have a good level of education, with good communication, IT - Word and Excel and interpersonal skills, and knowledge of meeting administration and working to deadlines. Experience in a local government environment would be an advantage. Holding the Certificate in Local Council Administration (CiLCA) is desirable but not essential. Support and training will be offered.
The role will include:
• Meeting administration which includes preparation and distribution of agendas, report writing, minute taking and offering procedural advice where required.
• Tracking follow up to correspondence and tracking actions against agreed tasks.
• Managing the Council’s finance, keeping financial (receipts and payments) records, preparing financial reports, budget control and annual return.
• Maintaining paper and electronic files, updating the Council’s documents on social media and website (training will be provided), and co-ordinating the publication of the village newsletter.
• Dealing with emails on a regular basis and other correspondence and enquiries, communicating with the Chair and councillors, residents, local groups, local authorities and agencies as appropriate.
• Managing Councillors time – if deadlines etc ensuring awareness well in advance.
• Reviewing the Council’s policies and procedures.
• Providing independent and objective advice on governance and procedural matters.
• Dealing with VAT, HMRC basic tools and pension fund returns.
Terms and Conditions
This is a part-time position with 14 hours per week. Attendance at evening meetings (usually Monday’s) will be a requirement. The role is permanent subject to a 6-month probationary period. Pay scales SCPS 13-17 (£24,948-£26,845 pa - pro rata), depending on qualifications and experience. Pension - can opt into a Pension scheme after probation.
Excellent opportunity for someone wishing to work in the office and from home, flexible hours and seeking a new vocation.
The hours are fairly flexible – home or office working, but the Council will wish to understand the desired working pattern of the applicant, who will also need to have a level of flexibility, i.e. some weeks may be less than 14 hours needed, some weeks may be more.
• For an informal discussion of the role please contact the Chairman - Councillor Rosanne Hayes on 07787 121911.
• Alternatively access the recruitment pack at https://www.cronton.org/documents/other documents/
Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted for attention of the Chair – Cronton Parish Council, 7 Hampton Drive, Cronton, WA8 5BZ. (It is best posted by hand as the postal service is suffering delays at present). Closing Date; 31st October 2023 Expected Start Date; November 2023